Without a cloud expert on hand, calculating the full cost of your cloud solution can be daunting.
Organizations interested in migrating their workloads to the cloud have to assess the cost of each integration, server, or other component their engineers need to connect and build. When you also include the need for skilled staff resources and the time required, it can be difficult to assess the overall cost.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) recognizes that clarity on overall project cost is valuable for customers that are evaluating their decision to move to the cloud. To make estimating cost easier, AWS launched the Simple Monthly Calculator – a free tool that anyone can use to estimate the technical cost of their cloud solution.
How to Use the AWS Simple Monthly Calculator
The AWS Simple Monthly Calculator is a useful tool that can help you estimate your cloud costs, but it can be overwhelming for first-time users. Here are brief instructions on how to get started:
- Select the region from the drop-down menu next to “Choose region”. The left column of the page will then show all the services available in that region.
- Select a service that you are planning to use on the left-hand side. Five commonly used AWS services are:
- Amazon EC2: Choose instances to replace servers for your application.
- Amazon S3: Object storage for scalability, data availability, security and performance.
- Amazon RDS: Fully managed database service for MS SQL, MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, Maria DB, Aurora.
- Amazon CloudFront: Content Delivery Network (CDN).
- AWS Support: Choose the level of support required from AWS.
- Input how much data transfer (bandwidth) you expect your service to use per month on the EC2 page at the bottom under “Data Transfer Out.”
- The calculator will total all the inputs you have made and present them in the “Estimate of your Monthly Bill” tab. Click the tab for a full breakdown of costs.
- Then click the “Save and Share” button to get a URL to your pricing estimate for future reference.
Secure and reliable cloud operations require more than standard features outlined in the cost calculator, including enhanced security and managed services. These costs can significantly add to the cost of your solution and increase the risk of your project running over-budget.
FuseForward delivers everything required for running workloads on AWS within a single product—the FuseForward Cloud Suite. The Suite is offered as a fully managed service on a subscription basis. You pay only for what you need and can relax knowing the full cost of your solution upfront.
We Can Help
While the calculator looks simple at first, it can present challenges for first-time users. As a Select Consulting Partner, we can calculate your AWS and managed service costs in a single document. Contact us, or feel free to reach out to us on our live chat service so we can put together a detailed proposal you can share with your team.
If you’re looking to estimate cloud project costs, you may also benefit from our free cloud readiness assessment. This assessment not only helps you estimate project timelines and budget, it can also help you prioritize which applications to move to the cloud.
Simply register for our free cloud readiness assessment and we’ll be in touch shortly.